Thursday, December 13, 2012

RockN Issue 1- Overwatch

I started this career in music late in life. I was 30 years old and a friend in the radio biz talked me into pursuing my passion of music, especially the local unsigned music in Sacramento. Now Sacramento is not Seattle, or even L.A., in its reputation for bands who have claimed fame. Tesla and a few others put Sacramento on the map in the 80's. Oleander, deftones, and Far made the leap in the 90's. Papa Roach, and Simon Says got record deals around the turn of the century. That's when I started. Both feet, hit the ground running, looking for the next big thing.

Over the years I learned a little bit about radio, and a lot about networking with bands on the scene. There were many bands that I thought were going to be the big breakout band. LUXT, The Council, Shortie, Tenfold, The Larisa Bryski Band, Turning Point, etc. Any day could have been the day that I did something to help the music worlds favorite new band. Although all of these bands mentioned were very talented, none of them seemed to have the right timing, and most of them disolved and formed other bands. Sacramento was in a slump when it came to bands getting the world spotlight.

I am no longer working for what they call "traditional radio" anymore, but I did keep my feet wet by joining a young, exciting, upstart internet radio staion called V103 ROCK. (V103.net, if you want to check it out).

In the last few years some band have really peaked my interest. I am excited about some of their prospects. Let the Spot light be on the Sacramento Scene again. We're ready for something big.

Enter the dragon, so to speak. Four young, talented musicians were brought together with a few parts Stairway To Stardom, a large dose of Rock Inc. School of Rock, and just a dash of advice from me. Not to put too much importance on my role in this, I was glad to be able to say some kind words and push Zach MacLachlan, the vocalist, toward joining this band. I knew Zach from Skip's Music Stairway to Stardom. I was honored to be his coach/mentor for 4 weeks of a summer session in 2010. He was young, a little bit green, but a very talented songwriter. He was going somewhere as a musician and I was determined to keep an eye out for his rise in the music industry. The rest of the band, although I did not know them as well, I knew that they were skilled musicians and I was convinced that together they were a force to be reckoned with.

Let me introduce to you, Overwatch! Glen Barnes (Lead Guitar),Zach MacLachlan (Vocals and Rhythm Guitar), Trevor Jones (Bass), Tucker Holstein (Drums and Percussion)



Zac Deibels, (Guitar and backing vocals for Simon Says, Lead Vocals and Guitar for Automatic Static, and owner operator of Rock Inc. - School of Rock,) took these four young men under his tutelage, recorded, produced, and engineered their first songs, and basically launched them into the Sacramento Local Scene. The Scene was a buzz again in young talent.

I try not to have favorites. Cough, cough. I said I try. I have some. When I first started with local music a band called Turning Point held my favor. I am still friends with each of the members of that band, and fully support their individual projects. (All the while trying to get them back together from time to time). Overwatch is definetly one of my favorites. I could not be more proud of them and the level of musician ship I see. Not even if they were my own kids. I want the world for them. In fact, when I was doing the Local Licks radio show on 98 Rock, I gave them their first gushing review.

The future of the Sacramento local music scene on the rise right here right now" - Mark Gilmore on 98 Rock

Since then a lot of things have happened for the boys;

Nominated for a SAMMIE for Outstanding Hard Rock Band in both 2011 and 2012. The first nomination coming only 6 months after the band formed.

Nominated for  Outstanding Alternative band for the 2012 All Indie Music Awards.

Released their first full length album "New Life" in 2012.

and

Filmed their first professional Music video for "Second To Last" with Bryson Roatch (Younger brother of Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach) http://youtu.be/nhXbO5p8NBs 

The Fires Have Been Lit. I wanted to use this to express all that is important to me. the success of Overwatch is one of the things I dream of more than most. Please take my advice, check out this band on their websites, and catch them live when you get a chance. Oh yeah, please spread the word also. Support Local Music!

Here is where you can find more about Overwatch;

 www.overwatchband.net or http://www.reverbnation.com/overwatch

Thank you for reading this, and stay tuned for more in this blog. When you see it titled RockN #, then you'll know its either a review on a band, or music that I like.

Forever honored,
 
Mark g.



   



1 comment:

  1. LOVE these guys. Great heads on their shoulders PLUS wicked talent. Love love love!!

    ReplyDelete